Open Arms of Minnesota (OAM) is a nonprofit that prepares and delivers healthy, nutritious food to people living with life-threatening illnesses. Our mission is to nourish mind, body and soul. In our state-of-the-art kitchen, OAM staff members and more than 7,600 volunteers create meals specifically designed for our clients’ nutritional needs. We use fresh and, whenever possible, organic ingredients, including produce from our own Open Farms gardens. Volunteers deliver the meals throughout the Twin Cities metro area to approximately 2,400 clients, caregivers and dependents annually, providing nourishment and hope for families dealing with life-threatening illnesses. There are no fees for any of Open Arms’ services. Open Arms is a volunteer-driven organization and is culturally unique in our high commitment to an excellent volunteer experience.
To learn more, visit www.openarmsmn.org
Open Date: October 15th, 2020 Closing Date: Until filled
OAM is hiring a registered dietitian to support the nutrition requirements of a healthcare contract. This full-time, salaried position contributes to the fulfillment of Open Arms’ mission by providing tele-nutrition services to clients, and supporting the recruitment, onboarding, and reporting requirements of project. The Registered Dietitian will play an important role in the success of this project, which allows the reach of our meal delivery services to increase throughout the state of Minnesota. As with all OAM staff positions, this position is responsible for helping ensure volunteers and interns have an exemplary experience during all interactions with Open Arms, and is expected to consistently maintain a high level of customer service to all guests, clients, and fellow team members.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
• Provide accurate and useful phone and video nutrition education in a timely manner to clients.
• Conduct intakes and nutrition assessments with clients.
• Assist with recruitment of clients for meal delivery and nutrition education services.
• Manage nutrition project details and keep excellent, accurate records of all work.
• Work collaboratively with other staff to identify specific nutrition needs of clients.
• Provide input on menu development based on feedback from clients.
• Develop written nutrition information such as worksheets, flyers, letters, surveys, evaluation, etc. for clients throughout service.
• Assist clients with transitioning off meal deliveries by providing nutrition resources at the end of service.
• Mentor dietetic interns to ensure good use of interns’ time and talents and provide them with satisfying experiences.
• Provide nutrition information and data as needed for reporting and grant proposals.
• Assist with additional food or nutrition related projects as needed.
• Provide backup delivery to clients if needed.
• Help ensure Open Arms provides an outstanding experience for all volunteers by regularly seeking out meaningful and positive interactions with them and maintaining a positive, friendly, helpful attitude at all times.
• Support OAM at events when requested.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Registered Dietitian; 2+ years relevant work experience.
• Licensed in MN.
• Valid Minnesota driver’s license.
• Understanding of the importance of client confidentiality.
• Experience with providing nutrition education telephonically; comfortable communicating with clients over the phone for long periods of time.
• Strong time management skills and attention to detail; ability to manage several daily appointments with clients including preparation and documentation.
• Motivational interviewing experience preferred.
• Ability to communicate verbally and in writing in Spanish preferred.
• Ability to communicate verbally and in writing in English.
• The drive and motivation to take on new projects and help them succeed; strong ability to learn new techniques and skills.
• Excellent communication and human relation skills and personal presence that garners respect from clients, volunteers and the community at large.
• Good understanding of the nutritional needs of the elderly and people with chronic and life-threatening illnesses.
• Familiar with using nutrition analysis software such as Food Processor.
• Ability to work independently and as a team member.
• Strong organizational and project management skills, ability to multi-task and work in high pressure setting.
• Ability to think strategically, creatively and proactively.
• Knowledge of computer programs including Microsoft Office.
• Flexibility with schedule and assigned tasks; ability to work occasional evenings and weekends. Willingness to participate in a wide-array of tasks that help support the overall mission of OAM (examples may include providing backup delivery to clients, or assisting with events such as Cook-A-Thon, Blizzard Box Blitz, Moveable Feast, and Thanksgiving turkey deliveries).
• Sensitivity and commitment to diversity and able to work respectfully with wide array of coworkers and members of the community.
• A passion for the mission and values of Open Arms.
• Able to operate standard office equipment (such as telephone, computer, printer and copy machine), set up tabletop displays and speak at events
• Able to lift delivery bags, meal contents and other needs within programmatic areas
• Able to sit for long periods of time.
• Able to work on feet for long periods of time.
• Ability to talk and hear, and to communicate verbally and in writing in English.
• Ability to review and reply to documents and information on computer screen as well as to use a computer and variety of software programs.
Reports to: Director of Nutrition Services
Pay Rate: $44,000 – $46,000
Location: Minneapolis MN 55404
Hours: 40 hours per week
Please send resume and cover letter to:
o Email: email@example.com
o Fax: 612.872.0866
o Mail: 2500 Bloomington Avenue S, Minneapolis MN 55404
o NO CALLS PLEASE
This position is eligible for an excellent comprehensive benefits package that includes medical/life/ STD/LTD insurance, and personal time off (PTO). Employee-paid dental and retirement plans are also available.
Open Arms of Minnesota is committed to hiring and fostering a diverse and inclusive workforce that leverages the skills and talents of all employees in our organization, regardless of race, gender, national origin, age, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, familial status, disability or socioeconomic status. We encourage diverse candidates to apply for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer