(612) 677-2572 email@example.com
Employement Status: Full Time
Start Date: As soon as possible
Job Type: Community Nutritionist
Qualifications & Description
Open Arms of Minnesota (OAM) is a nonprofit that prepares and delivers healthy, nutritious food to people living with life-threatening illnesses. Our mission is to nourish body, mind and soul. In our state-of-the-art kitchen, OAM staff members and more than 7,500 volunteers create meals specifically designed for our clients’ nutritional needs. We use fresh and, whenever possible, organic ingredients, including produce from our own Open Farms gardens. Volunteers deliver the meals throughout the Twin Cities metro area to approximately 1,100 clients, caregivers and dependents each week, providing nourishment and hope for families dealing with life-threatening illnesses. There are no fees for any of Open Arms’ services. Open Arms is a volunteer-driven organization and is culturally unique in our high commitment to an excellent volunteer experience.
To learn more, visit www.openarmsmn.org
This full-time, salaried position contributes to the fulfillment of Open Arms’ mission by managing nutrition services to and providing timely, accurate and useful nutrition information to OAM’s health care clients. The Nutrition Specialist’s primary responsibility will be to provide client intakes, nutrition assessments, and nutrition education with clients, as well as provide written nutrition information to clients. This position will also assist in providing nutrient analysis of OAM’s meals, help maintain food safety, and supervise dietetic interns to provide meaningful projects that mutually benefit the interns and OAM. As with all OAM staff positions, this position is responsible for helping ensure volunteers and interns have an exemplary experience during all interactions with Open Arms, and is expected to consistently maintain a high level of customer service to all guests, clients and fellow team members.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
• Perform nutrition assessment and client intake.
• Recruit clients for nutrition education from pool of eligible clients, using phone script.
• Provide accurate and useful phone and video nutrition education in a timely manner to clients requiring information and additional support.
• Manage nutrition project details and keep excellent, accurate records of all work.
• Work collaboratively with other staff to identify specific nutrition needs of clients.
• Provide nutrition tips and advice on menus and other programs and events as needed.
• Provide written information to clients at end of service.
• Mentor dietetic interns to ensure good use of interns’ time and talents and provide them with satisfying experiences.
• Provide nutrition information and data as needed for reporting and grant proposals.
• Provide nutrient analysis of meals when needed.
• Assist in additional food or nutrition related projects as needed.
• Write nutrition worksheets, flyers, letters, surveys, evaluation, etc.
• Provide backup delivery to clients if needed.
• Help ensure Open Arms provides an outstanding experience for all volunteers by regularly seeking out meaningful and positive interactions with them and maintaining a positive, friendly, helpful attitude at all times.
• Support OAM at events when requested.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Registered Dietitian; 2+ years relevant work experience.
• Licensed in MN.
• Excellent work references.
• Ability to communicate verbally and in writing in Spanish preferred.
• Ability to communicate verbally and in writing in English.
• Excellent communication and human relation skills and personal presence that garners respect from clients, volunteers and the community at large.
• Good understanding of the nutrition needs of the elderly and people with chronic and life-threatening illnesses.
• Familiarity with OAA Title III Nutrition Guidelines.
• Familiar with using nutrition analysis software such as Food Processor.
• The drive and ability to learn new techniques and skills.
• Ability to work independently and as a team member.
• Demonstrated ability to create, lead and motivate a team.
• Strong organizational and project management skills, ability to multi-task and work in high pressure setting.
• Ability to think strategically, creatively and proactively.
• Billing experience preferred.
• Knowledge of computer programs including Microsoft Office.
• Valid Minnesota driver’s license.
• Flexibility with schedule and assigned tasks; ability to work occasional evenings and weekends. Willingness to participate in a wide-array of tasks that help support the overall mission of OAM (examples may include providing backup delivery to clients, or assisting with events such as Cook-A-Thon, Blizzard Box Blitz, Moveable Feast, and Thanksgiving turkey deliveries).
• Sensitivity to diversity and able to work respectfully with wide array of coworkers and members of the community.
• A passion for the mission and values of Open Arms.
• Able to operate standard office equipment (such as telephone, computer, printer and copy machine), set up tabletop displays and speak at events
• Able to lift delivery bags, meal contents and other needs within programmatic areas
• Able to sit for long periods of time.
• Able to work on feet for long periods of time.
• Ability to talk and hear, and to communicate verbally and in writing in English.
• Ability to review and reply to documents and information on computer screen as well as to use a computer and variety of software programs.
Reports to: Nutrition Services Manager
Pay Rate: $41,600-43,680
Hours: 40 hours per week
To Apply: Please send resume and cover letter detailing pertinent experience to:
• OAM HR Email: Jobs@openarmsmn.org
• Fax: 612.872.0866
• Mail: 2500 Bloomington Avenue S, Minneapolis MN 55404
• NO CALLS PLEASE
Benefits: This position is eligible for an excellent, comprehensive benefits package, including medical/life/STD/LTD insurance, holidays and personal time off (PTO). An employee-paid dental plan and 401K is also available.
Open Arms of Minnesota is committed to hiring and fostering a diverse and inclusive workforce that leverages the skills and talents of all employees in our organization, regardless of race, gender, national origin, age, religion, sexual orientation, size, physical ability or socioeconomic status. We encourage diverse candidates to apply for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employment